The village of Chaddesley Corbett is an ancient settlement with a prehistoric buriel mound and traces of a Roman road. Originally known as Chaddesley the name is thought to mean "Ceadda's clearing in the wood" and is first mentioned in a Saxon Charter of 816 when the land was given to the Bishop of Worcester in return for hospitality to the King of Mercia and his men. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as belonging to a Saxon Noblewoman - and had two priests, several corn mills, a population as large as Kidderminster and two saltpans in Droitwich for it's own use. After the Norman Conquest the Manor of Chaddesley was owned by the Corbett family who added their name to it’s title. Later, church lands passed to the Earldom of Warwick and, eventually, to the Throckmortons of Coughton Court.
Chaddesley Woods in Chaddesley Corbett became a Nature Reserve in 1973 through the generosity of Mr. John Cadbury. The reserve consists of 53 hectares of native oak woodland and 47 hectares of recent plantations of young hardwoods and softwoods - which were added to show how wild life conservation can be intergrated with modern commercial management.A "Jubilee Walk" was introduced in 1977 to mark the 25th anniversary of the Queen's accession to the throne. The walk is marked by yellow arrows - which indicate public rights of way - and by white arrows which indicate courtesy paths. There are Voluntary Wardens for the woods and the area is managed by the Nature Conservancy Council. The Woods are a special feature of the area and attract many visitors all through the year.•Car parking by the roadside.•Guard against thefts.____________________
Week of January 7thDisappointmentthattheNewYear’sEveMidnightServicewasabandoned duetotheindispositionoftheVicarandhurriedarrangementshadtobe madefortheNewYear’ssermons(Revd.EvansandPennington)-thelatter attendedbynumerousyoungboys,withraptattention,believinghimtobe the Albion footballer of the same name !Thirty-sixladiesenjoyedasocialatTheSwanHotelwithnotasoundheard until a chair leg broke and left one lady reposing on the carpet !W/o January 14th Thereportof“Miss******illinbedwiththeDoctor”washotlydenied (together with uncomplimentary names !!).W/o January 21stBothfrost-boundandsnow-bound..aweekcut-offfromtheoutsideworld butwiththetelephone“onitsbestbehaviour”otherwisewereallywould have been cut-off. Influenza cases have largely increased. Work on the land is at a standstill.W/o January 28thTwoyoungmen,bothnamedGrove-thoughun-related,arrivedatthe Surgery with injuries; both to do with timber felling and sawing.‘Honours’inClass1oftheCambridgeLocalExaminationswenttoEdward Jarratt,aformerstarofourschoolandpopularleaderinboys’football.Heis to adopt a career in Teaching.AselectioncopiedfromtheKidderminsterShuttlebyCCLocalHistorySocietywhichappearedintheJanuary 2022 issue of the Parish magazine____________________________________________________What passes for “Humour” in ChaddesleyManywillremembertheCobbler(whodoubledasthePostman)withhis blunt query - “Have ye brought thee money ?” “N0 ?”“Then thee boots’ not done !”Othersmightremember“BigHead”,whodrankat‘TheTalbot’,whoalways knewbetter,beenthere,donethat,moretimesandmorefrequentlythan anybody else.Thinkingtogivehimalesson,someonelayinwaitinanewlyduggrave, with a while sheet draped over him.Along comes “Big Head” and said fellow stands up and complains“.. Oooo, I am feeling cold !” thinking to scare the man.But Chaddesley beer is strong beer (and makes brave men of us all !)So “Big Head” remarks “..No wonder thee’s cold, thee’s got no dirt on thee !” andproceedstokicksoiloverthepoormaninanattempttoburyhim, requiringhelpfromthosegatheredbehindnearbytombstoneswaitingto see what happened !Onelad,who‘specialised’insnatchingother’sdrinks,gothis‘come-upance’,whenaglassofliquidparaffinwithfruitdyewasdownedinone gulp .. and left the lad sincerely regretting it, for some time after !_____________________________
Harvest Festival OfferingsChaddesley school - 60 years ago
Chaddesley Corbett History SocietyThe Society is pleased to announce that a history of the parish from 1900-1950 i published in July.
‘HowitWas’isbasedonthememoriesofthosewholivedintheparishduringthefirst halfofthetwentiethcenturyandonresearchintomanycontemporarydocuments,allof which help so much in depicting life in Chaddesley Corbett during that time.100 of the book’s 256 pages contain nearly 400 black and white images, many of which have been donated to the Society by parishioners both past and present.Thebookwillbe£8andwearehappytotakeadvanceorderswhichcanbemadebycontacting:-Sylvia Beardshaw 01562 777955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
On 14 May 1940, Secretary of State for War Anthony Eden announced the creation of the Local Defence Volunteers (LDV)—later to becoe known as the Home Guard. Far more men volunteered than the government expected and by the end of June, there were nearly 1.5 million volunteers.One of their first tasks was to create a first line of defence for rural communities.In 1940 there was great concern in the government that invasion was imminent. So the War Department sent out an order to all LDV brigades to make home-made anti-tank obstacles to be put in the middle of the road to hamper the progress of enemy tanks in the event of invasion.Each village had their own ideas about shape and design. Olive Mason recalls the Chaddesley LDV brigade made four; two for the top of Briar Hill and two for the entrance to the village outside the Police Station. They used easily obtained 4 ft diameter concrete drainage pipes, stood them on end and then filled them to the top with concrete. The iron bar (seen in photo above) was to be used to attach large steel chains between the blocks.Remarkably, two of Chaddesley’s ‘obstacles’ have survived and can still be seen exactly where they were left 80 years ago ─ in the snowdrop orchard opposite the Old Police Station, in the village street. Many of us have probably walked or driven past them hundreds of times and not realised what they were under their annual canopy of nettles._____________________________________________________________